Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm a big fan of the talkies



In an earlier blog... I don't know if I will ever get over saying that word, blog. It sounds like vomit or an std. Appropriate actually, I'm spewing chunks of my boring little life and putting it out there like a cheap hooker. Ergo, the STD part.

Anyway... Earlier I brought up my love affair with Netflix but I failed to mention it's bodied companion, my beloved Roku. How life changed the moment I saw my own personal movie and TV library before my eyes and with the simple click of a button on my cute little Roku remote, I leave my livingroom along with my reality and go to my favorite places.

Roku, Roku, Roku, I even love the little "boop" you hear as your selections glide past you on the screen. Ah, If I could spend a week just completely left alone with nothing to do but watch TV and have Chinese Food it would make me so happy. I think if people actually could have a personal heaven, that would be mine. I guess my personal hell would be finally getting to sit down and watch tv only to find nothing works and I'm eternally waiting for my Chinese delivery. Balls!

Now, don't think that all I do is sit around and watch tv. It couldn't be farther from the truth. I don't watch anything until around 9pm when Ryan is asleep and Tom and I have had our dinner. It's MY time. No obligations, no one needs me for anything. I never was one to really 'go out'. I hate Clubs and the few times I did go didn't exactly leave me with the best of memories... not to mention a funny taste in my mouth.

I like to chill at my house, I like the comfort and familiarity of my surroundings. Even before the pot I've always led a more sedentary lifestyle. As a kid when I was demanded to go out and play I'd find a tree shaded area and read. I try to pretend like I want to be one of those outdoorsy types, but in reality, I'm not that girl. I hate bugs and too much sun. And camping or hiking?? Fugghetabouditt! Give me my tree and a book. Maybe a tall glass of lemonade and some cookies too! That's how I want to be outside.

My brother and I are very much alike that way. Our greatest childhood memories are those being at our grandparents house. Our terf, the family room, where we watched thousands of hours of tv, is a place we hold dear to our hearts. Woodstock '94 was there for us. We were 14 and 10. We couldn't go, but we camped out and watched the whole thing live on MTV.

If a particular movie comes up in conversation, and we watched it there, we know it. More times than not, these movies are more closely guarded, because we saw it there. Most of the movies that I consider my absolute faves were watched there, in multitudes! Revenge of the Nerds, Sixteen Candles, National Lampoons Vacation, Clueless, Just one of the Guys, the list goes on and on.

My love for television is something I have undoubtedly passed on to my son. Oh, glorious day, when he realizes there is so much more out there than SpongeBob Squarepants!

No comments:

Post a Comment