Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Girl Power


For me, when I think of the song "Cherry Bomb" my brain automatically gears towards the movie "Dazed and Confused". Moreso the soundtrack. What an anthem! For a teenage girl riddled with hormones, angst and curiosity this song packs a punch. Colleen was, and still is, one of my best friends. This song brings back great memories of rockin' out in her blue Suburu... or the Bubaru as we called it.

I remember, vividly,singing along "Hello Daddy, Hello Mom, I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch CHERRY BOMB!"

A lot of these memories resurfaced last night when I watched the Indie film "The Runaways" starring Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning. They both play the teenage versions of Joan Jett and Cherie Currie, two of the founding members of the all girl rock and roll band of the 70's.

I consider myself semi savvy when it comes to musical knowledge -- nowhere near my brothers expansive knowledge on the subject -- but then again he couldn't tell you even ten of the top forty hits. He's just not that guy. Though he could tell you who plays what instrument on whatever album by whoever, pre 1994 that is. I think with the death of Kurt Cobain, Bob felt nothing good could or would ever come from the music scene again.

I digress... I, of course, knew who Joan Jett was. "I love Rock 'n Roll" and her version of "Crimson and Clover" are ranked up there with some of my favorites. However, I really knew nothing about these power rockers who changed the world of music... really they did. When did you see an ensemble of five girls with so much agression (both sexual and violent) before The Runaways? Although the idea of five teenagers out on the road consuming massive amounts of drugs and alcohol -- not to mention a lot of sex -- is slightly unnerving to watch. I remember being that age though and it was - though harsh - quite true. At fifteen I had already been a smoker for over a year. I was a habitual pot smoker as well and by the next year I'd experimented with other drugs. The really hardcore stuff didn't come until later. (Thanks college!!) If I had been a rock star I would have taken the same path as these girls did. Who knows where I would be today. More than likely a member of the twenty seven club.

There was truth to this movie, the acting was actually very good. I was worried that Kristen Stewart would play Joan Jett as an angry Bella... but alas, the girl can actually act. I forgot about Bella Swan within the first few minutes of her entrance. She played a wicked Joan Jett, seriously hard core. She dropped F bombs like nobody's business and it was natural! Maybe Kristen Stewart really is a badass.

Being the Twi freak that I am knowing Dakota and Kristen were in this together was another draw. I was in no way expecting to see them make out. But it wasn't weird -- that is until I thought to myself with a chuckle "tee hee hee, Bella and Jane are totally making out... I wonder if the Volturi know about this?" -- Yes, I'm queer to the nth degree - but that's just who I am.

Oh to be back in the Bubaru, screaming out our rage along with our foresisters. Thank you Runaways for making me realize I wasn't the only teen with anger issues. Thank you for being who you were and continue to be who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment